The oldest operating McDonald's restaurant is the third one built, in Downey, California, which opened in 1953.
"Speedee", the former mascot of McDonald's before his replacement by RonaldMcDonald.
Concept version of Ronald McDonald.Main article: History of McDonald's
The business began in 1940, with a restaurant opened by brothers Richard and Maurice McDonald in San Bernardino,California. Their introduction of the "Speedee Service System" in 1948 furthered the principles of the modern fast-food restaurant that the White Castle hamburger chain had already put into practicemore than two decades earlier. The original mascot of McDonald's was a man with a chef's hat on top of a hamburger shaped head whose name was "Speedee." Speedee was eventually replaced with RonaldMcDonald by 1967 when the company first filed a U.S. trademark on a clown shaped man having puffed out costume legs.
McDonald's first filed for a U.S. trademark on the name "McDonald's" on May 4, 1961,with the description "Drive-In Restaurant Services," which continues to be renewed through the end of December 2009. In the same year, on September 13, 1961, the company filed a logo trademark on anoverlapping, double arched "M" symbol. The overlapping double arched "M" symbol logo was temporarily disfavored by September 6, 1962, when a trademark was filed for a single arch, shaped over many ofthe early McDonald's restaurants in the early years. Although the "Golden Arches" appeared in various forms, the present form as a letter "M" did not appear until November 18, 1968, when the companyapplied for a U.S. trademark.
McDonald's corporate logo used from 1968 to 2006. It still exists at some restaurants.The present corporation dates its founding to the opening of a franchisedrestaurant by Ray Kroc, in Des Plaines, Illinois, on April 15, 1955, the ninth McDonald's restaurant overall. Kroc later purchased the McDonald brothers' equity in the company and led its worldwide...