Positives and Negatives Aspects of Television
• Television is popular among people of various age groups. This also includes children, who are perhaps the main prospects of television.
• The effectof television on children can be broadly categorized into mainly two: a positive effect and a negative one.
• Today, children who grow up with the television have more tendencies to spend their timewatching television. According to the American Academy of Child Adolescent Psychiatry, now, American children “watch an average of three to fours hours of television daily. Television can be apowerful influence in developing value systems and shaping behavior”
Negative Effects of the MediaThe Negative Effects of Media Violence on Children
• It is everywhere you look. Turn on the television, it’s there. Go to a movie, it’s there. Even a cartoon that a five year old watches isfilled with it. Media violence.
• By the time a child turns 18, they will have witnessed 16,000 murders and 200,000 acts of violence on television alone. Often times, these programs do not show theconsequences of these acts of violence, either. Only five percent of children’s programs depict the long-term consequences of aggressive behavior. In addition, 58 percent of the time the victims werenot shown suffering from pain. Therefore, the children who watch these programs will think that there is no consequence for resorting to violence.
It provides a great sense ofrelease, especially during stressful times in life.
Community is valued and interaction therein is required for success.
It requires reading, strategy, critical thinkingand puzzle solving. (Compare to movies and TV, which are both very passive forms of entertainment.)
It provides a mental and emotional escape from reality that we all need from time to time....
Ler documento completo
Por favor, assinar para o acesso.