Oskar Schlemmer studied applied graphic design at a marquetry workshop in Stuttgart from 1903 to 1905. Between 1906 and 1910, he studied for one semester at the school of appliedarts in Stuttgart and then received a scholarship to the city’s Akademie der bildende Künste (academy of art). In 1911/12, Schlemmer worked as a freelance painter in Berlin and made contact withHerwarth Walden’s gallery, Der Sturm. In 1912, he returned to Stuttgart and became one of Adolf Hölzel’s master students. In 1913/14, he opened and directed the Neuer Kunstsalon (new art salon) in theNeckartor district. Together with Willi Baumeister and Hermann Stenner, he designed murals for the main hall of the Deutscher Werkbund (German Work Federation) exhibition in Cologne in 1914. From 1914 to1918, he served in the war. In 1920, he produced his first figurines for the Triadic Ballet, which was first performed in Stuttgart in 1922.
In January 1921, Schlemmer was appointed by WalterGropius as one of the first masters at the Staatliches Bauhaus in Weimar. As a master of form, he initially directed the wall painting department (alternating with Johannes Itten) and the stone sculptureworkshop, and he also taught life drawing. From 1922 to 1923, he directed the stone sculpture workshop, the wood sculpture workshop (and the metal workshop temporarily) as a master of form. He alsocontinued to teach life drawing. For the Bauhaus exhibition held in Weimar in 1923, Schlemmer contributed significantly to the fields of wall design, painting, sculpture, print graphics, advertising andthe stage. From 1923 to 1929, he was the head of the stage workshop at the Bauhaus in Weimar and Dessau. In 1927/28, he taught figure drawing and offered his course Der Mensch (the human being) from1928. Schlemmer was the director of the Bauhaus stage’s national tour in 1928/29. He left the Bauhaus on 11th July 1929.
From 1929 to 1932, Schlemmer held a professorship at the Staatliche Akademie...
Ler documento completo
Por favor, assinar para o acesso.