1. Teens who are experiencing domestic violence typically display psychosomatic issues , high self-esteem and feelings of failure ?
2. Vandalism , drinking or drug abuse are exemples of sutle reactions ?
3. 40% of adolescent said they know somebody who has been part of a physically abusive rrelationship ?
4. Teen dating violence is more common among menand boys ?
5. Fear of deportation and use of their mother language are not issues that make dating violence for Latino teens worse ?
3- Complete the sentences using the underlined words or expressions in the leaflet :
1. Failure to attend school is called ---
2. If you --- someone, taht means that you attack someone physically.
3. If you use force to make something happen, you are being ---4. A --- person is somebody who was killed intentionally.
5. --- is the frequent repetition of words or parts of words that is produced with excessive amounts of struggle and effort.
6. --- : to use your teeth to chew your finger nails .
7. In education, a student´s --- are other students .
4- Choose the correct alternative :
1. Which is not a synonym for the word ´profound´ (line 9) ?
()intense () unimportant () significant () deep
2. The word ´disruptive´ (line 18) can be replaced by :
() strange () calm () disturbing () quiet
3. Which verbs have a meaning similar to that of the word ´confide´ (line 33) ?
() confess () reveal () tell () keep () hide () trust
4. What is not a synonym for the word ´abusive´ (line 37) ?
() insulting () offensive () defamatory () respectful5. ´Violence´ is an example of those words whose spelling and/or meaning are similar to Portuguese ones. Such words are also known as
() adjectives. () cognates. () translation.
5- Scan the text and find six other examples of cognates .
6- Answer the questions :
1. According to the text, why do victims of domestic violence wear high-necked or long-sleeved clothing ?
2. The text mentionsemotional attacks as a form of coercive behavior. How can someone be emotionally attacked ?
3. Why are undocumented teenagers afraid of talking about dating violence ?
7- Discuss with a classmate :
1. Why do you think womem and girls are more likely to be victims of teen dating violence than men and boys ?
2. In your opinion, why is it difficult for teenagers to look for help or even tellothers about this kind of problem ?
8- The Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence , from the US state of New York , has this poster distributed in shopping malls . Does Brazil have any similar campaigns ?
(Discuss in small groups what the impacts of having a campaign like this in the city town where youn live would be.)
--------------------------------------------------------Atividade , Pág : 43
Violence Against Women !
1 Match the words and the definitions .
1 femicide 3 tranfficking 5 (to be) beaten
2 (to) rape 4 mutilation 6 stalking
() having a part of the body crippled or disabled
() to be hit repeatedly
() the crime of women because they are women
() buying or selling illegally
() to obsessively follow or observe someone2 Fill in the blanks with the correct words from exercise 1.
1. Womem and girls comprise 80% of the estimated 800,000 people suffering from --- each year, with the majority trafficked for sexual .
2. According to studies , one in three women worldwide will be --- , raped ,coerced into sex or otherwise abused in her lifetime .
3. Approximately 100 million to 140 million girls and women in theworld have experienced female genital --- / cutting, with more than 3 million girls in Africa being at risk of the practice annually.
4. Repeated phone calls , inapropriate girls and bumping into the same person around one´s workplace may be signs of --- .
5. More than 3,800 women and girls have been murdered in Guatemala since the year 2000. Local activists are calling it a ´ ---´ , and this...