When UNICEF was is created?
- It was founded on December 11, 1946, and was created to help children living in Europe and who suffered from the Second World War.
-A group of countries assembled by the United Nations (UN) decided to roll up our sleeves and do something; UNICEF was an emergency fund to help children who suffered from the war.Where is its headquarters?
- It is headquartered in New York, USA.
What type organization is it?
-It’s a nongovernmental organization.
What is its main goal, mission?
• Children'seducation: that all children have access to and complete primary education.
• Early childhood development: to give every child the best start in life.
• Immunization: protecting children from disease anddisability, with special emphasis on immunization.
• Combating HIV / AIDS: to prevent the spread of disease and for children and youth infected and affected by AIDS receive adequate care.
•Child Protection: to ensure that all children can grow up free from violence, exploitation, abuse and discrimination.
What activities do they promote?
-Sale of products during festive periods suchas postcards, key chains, mugs etc.
Key dates related to this organization?
-1953 - UNICEF becomes a permanent part of the United Nations system with a broadened role -- to respond to thelong-term needs of children living in poverty in developing countries. The focus during the decade: controlling or eradicating diseases such as yaws, trachoma and tuberculosis.
1954 -Danny Kaye isappointed UNICEF's first 'Ambassador at large', charged with "making known the needs of children throughout the world."
1955- UNICEF joins the World Health Organization (WHO) in a worldwide campaign toeradicate malaria, a leading child killer. The campaign saved many lives, but failed to reach its main goal.
1959 - The UN General Assembly adopts the Declaration of the Rights of the Child forerunner...