Self-Cleaning Intelligent System of Urban Drilling
JOÃO PAULO VARGAS DE OLIVEIRA
a) definition of the business idea: describe it and why it is important
There are several causes for the urban floods, but among the main ones, we listed the rains, thetype of floor, trash in the manholes, project errors (insufficient drainage), and the irregular occupation of the soil.
The relation between the intense rains and the floods is that, although they’re fast, their intensity does not allow the precipitated volume to drain in time not to dam the waters on the strangling points which are used to be the manholes and the bridges. The runoff, on theother side, takes the trash thrown in the streets and hills, reducing or blocking the pluvial drainage pipes, when they exist.
Every year, it’s the same story in the summer rain season. The metropolitan regions of the big cities face the floods that make thousands of people lose their homes, besides hurting and even killing other people. Usually, the most harmed ones are the poor people in thesuburbs who don’t have secure and ideal housing conditions, and live under the failing urban conditions of the city.
[pic] [pic] [pic]
Nowadays, the floods are the result of a long process of changing and instabilization of Nature caused by human forces, which follows the fast and non-planned growth of most of the cities.
Floods are natural calamities, or not, which happen when anatural riverbed receives an amount of water larger than what it is supposed to hold leading to an overflow. It might happen in lakes, rivers, streams, seas and oceans, as a result of strong and continuous rains. They are considered to be, among the natural catastrophes, the most harmful to the population health and to the heritage, with high morbimortality, due to the direct effect of the floods andthe secondary infectious diseases to the disorders in the water and sanitation systems.
Other responsible ones for the evacuation of the waters and also for the wrong deposit of trash in public roads, which with the strength of the waters are taken away, causing the blocking of the places for the water drainage (manholes and galleries).
[pic] [pic] [pic]
Trashdestination. The lack of covery in the trash collection in the suburban and out-of-the-way areas, in addition to the lack of environmental education of the population, makes the trash to be thrown away into big ditches and on the hills. With the intense rains, this material is taken to lower places where there are canals, rivers and manholes. It’s not hard to think of what happens next: this material istrapped over the columns and walls of bridges; it reduces the section of the canals and blocks the rainwater in the manholes causing the urban floods.
Main causes of floods:
- the region high rainfall rate;
- high degree of waterproofing of the soil by the asphalt and concrete surfaces;
- disorderly occupation and population growth of migrants;
- high levelof poverty in the suburbs of the city, which prevent people from having resources to find a destination for the trash, for example;
- lack of conscience and environmental education of the administrators and of the general population;
- omission of the Public Power regarding the urban management, and lack of adequate basic sanitation;
Most of the times, floods happen as a result ofman’s actions
Among the difficulties caused by floods, we might stand out:
- Loss of lives;
- Leaving of the flooded houses;
- Loss of materials, objects and furniture soaked or taken away by the water;
- Water contamination by the toxic products;
- Water contamination with pathologic agents which cause diseases such as amebiasis, cholera, yellow fever, hepatitis A, malaria,...