G – Word order in questions
V – common verb phrases, classroom language
P – vowel sounds, the alphabet
1 INTRODUCING YOUSELF
A Introduce yourself to all the other students. Try to remember their names.
B Can you remember? Does anybody in the class in the class have …?
1. a very long name
2. a very short name
3. a name that’s difficultto spell
4. an unusual name
5. the same name as a famous person
6. the same name as a famous person from your country
7. a very traditional name
8. the same name as another student
2 GETTING TO KNOW EACH OTHER
A Complete the groups of questions 1-5 below with a verb
B 1.1 Listen and repeat the FREE TIME questions. Copy the rhythm.
C In pairs, ask and answer thequestions.
Can you find two things you have in common?
1 HOME AND FAMILY
Where ____ you from?
Where do you ____?
Do you ____ an brothers and sisters?
2 JOB / STUDIES
What do you ____?
|Where do you____? |What school / university do you ____ to? |
|Do you ____ you job?|What year ____ you in: |
Do you ____ an foreign languages? Which?
3 FREE TIME
What kind of music do you __________?
Do you ____ a musical instrument? Which?
Do you ____ TV? What programmes?
Do you ____ any sports or exercise? What?
What books or magazines do you ____?
4 THE FUTURE
Where are you going to ____ after the class?
Whatare you going to ____ this weekend?
5 THE PAST
Where ____ you born?
Where did you ____ English before?
What did you ____ last summer?
3 GRAMMAR word order in questions
A Can you remember the questions? Re – order the words.
1. from are you where? _______________________________________________
2. watch you do TV? _________________________________________________
3.to music you what kind of listen do?___________________________________
4. English where you before did study?___________________________________
5. are do what you weekend going this to?_________________________________
B p.126 Grammar Bank 1A. Read the rules and do the exercises.
WORD ORDER IN QUESTIONS
Questions with do / does / did in present and past simple
|Questions word|Auxiliary |Subject |Infinitive (=verb) |
| | | | |
|Where |Do |you |Live with you parents? ||What food |Does |Jenny |Like Chinese food? |
| |do |you |Live? |
| |does |Jenny |Like?|
• In the present simple use the auxiliary verb do / does to make questions.
• In the past simple use the auxiliary verb did to make questions.
• In these questions the subject goes after the auxiliary verb.
• Remember ASI (auxiliary, subject, infinitive) or QUASI (question word, auxiliary, subject, infinitive) to help you with word order in present or past simplequestions.
Questions with be, present continuous, and going to
|Question word |be |Subject |(adjective, noun, verb + ing, |
| | | |etc) |
| | |...